Saturday, May 3, 2008

Gila TT and Crit

Stage 3...
...was a relaxed one, as we only had to tackle a 16.4mile TT and that was it for the day. Unlike in the previous years, we started the TT early in the day and the wind was not too bad. My goal was to beat the 38:45 I did 2 years ago, hoping that the 56x11 I brought would prevent me from spinning out going down the last 3miles to the finish. After a quick bike equipment check (weight + dimesnions) by Bonnie Walker I did the "usual" warm-up and headed towards the start. It went pretty good, I was able to push the 56 all the way to the top and by the time I headed back to the finish I had passed 5 guys, but two of them just soft-pedaled up the hill. Mike ended up being the best amateur for the day, placing 22nd and posting a 37:05. I went a bit faster than 2 years ago and got 32nd, with a 37:55. The rest of the day was mostly R&R, including a visit to the Buckhorn Saloon, a very unique restaurant/bar built in 1865(!) and known for great Burgers and typical Western-style atmosphere.
Here's the VeloNews article

Stage 4...
...was another short and intense but fun effort in Downtown Silver City, NM. Bissel had the GC by 2 seconds so they did it "Tecos--style" and rode at the front all day, making sure to keep the "Maglia Rosa" of the Tour. The legs felt okay, but not good enough to do anything really. I tried a couple of times to do something by jumping in or to a break but just didn't had that "punch" today. Oh well, was probably a good thing as tomorrow's stage will be brutal, brutal, brutal. Today's stage winner, Henk Vogels, totally smoked the competition and pulled of a nice win. He'll be in Austin for the AT&T crit and told me that he's looking forward to it - and 6th Street of course :-)
Here's the Velonews article

I need to mention a couple of other Texas racers which are racing out here. Loren Dodson is sitting 9th in GC in the Cat 2's. Joel Grimmet is sitting 5th GC in the 35+ after a nice 3rd place up Mogollon climb on day 1. Velossimo's Draye Redfern is hanging in there in the Cat 3's, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment