Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jack's Generic Tri

After only having to ride 25miles yesterday I filled out the weekend with a different type of competition: the Jack's Generic Triathlon down in New Braunfels at the Texas Ski Ranch. I've done a couple of sprint tri's in the past but this was by far the stiffest competition I've been with. There were close to 1000 people comepting today.
My co-worker Derick told me to do the Open category and for whatever reason I listened to him! So there I stood in the sand with 15 pro/semi-pro Tri guys and girls; we started the 500m in the Open wave and I was last out of the water (yeah, I can swim, but not fast). My TOKEN Momenta was waiting for me in Transition and I quickly started catching the same athletes which just dropped me badly during the swim. 3 guys were too far up the road, though and I was fourth coming out of T2. The 3mile out-and-back run on asphalt was not fun and my legs felt like fresh jellow the entire time. On the way back to the finish my other co-worker Kelly passed me - she was on a 6min pace while I was doing a 6:45. Yeah, she's fast.
I ended up 4th Overall Male for the day and missed the podium by a solid 3minutes to a 35 and a 41-year old. I guess I can still do well in Tri's 15 years down the road?

A few pics from Kreutz Photography:

...last out of the water in the Open Wave...and yes, pink caps are gay...

...trying to get low...

...5K of pain...

...Awards with fellow Sourcie Derick W.

1 comment: