Monday, October 27, 2008

CX and LiveStrong Weekend

My new off-season training includes doing some Cyclocross races thanks to the guys at Austin Bikes and SCOTT who helped me out with some gear.

After last weekends race in Manor I headed out east this Saturday to Richard Moya Park for the 4th race of the LoneStarCX Series. Fawley and Will Ross were busy racing out-of-state but I still got taught a few lessons from Scott Henry who took the win. Actually, I followed him off-course twice while being glued to his wheel! That didn't impact my finish, though and I got third just behind Keiran Sikdar and ahead of Joel Trinity from UT. There's one more LoneStar CX series race November 8 in Del Valle where I hope to a) stay upright again and b) follow Fawley & Co. as long as possible :-)

Check out another homemade video about the race made by Stackhouse:



Then yesterday, after having raised +$300, I did the L.A.F. Challenge out in Dripping Springs which was a good 90mile ride and fitted well into my training schedule. I never done the Ride for the Roses or L.A.F. before so it was pretty interesting and next to seeing some roads I've never ridden on it was good to chat with some folks in the cycling community. It was more like a social group-ride but at times you could sense the "competitive nature" found in most of us participants in the front group :-) Lance and Phinney Jr. didn't mess around and surged w/ 20miles to go, and Nick Reistad and I rotated along with them until our legs said "no more". Good times.

Here's a slide show with a few pics, courtesy of the Statesman:

http://www.austin360.com/recreation/mediahub/media/slideshow/index.jsp?tId=126357

1 comment:

  1. Not falling in CX? You don't know your limits of bike handling unless you fall a few times!

    ReplyDelete